- About the Role
GKinetic is a leading international provider of hydrokinetic solutions spanning community scale projects right up to large MW installations. Its patented turbine technology has secured over €3.9 million in investment towards its development and has consistently delivered impressive results securing awards from SEAI, Seedcorn and the Marine Industry Awards. With full scale devices deployed in Ireland, France and Scotland we have been commended for our excellence in research and development as well as collaborative approach working with industry and academia. As GKinetic enters the next exciting phase of commercial pilot projects and deployments we have a unique opportunity for a Naval Architect with experience in the Marine sector to join our dynamic team as Lead Engineer.
The Lead Engineer will be required to develop technical proposals for pilot projects with the support of the CEO, COO and Electrical Engineer. You should be a strategic thinker, an effective communicator and have a track record in technological and project development. You will work directly with the CEO and will lead all technical and engineering work. Promotion to CTO is expected in the medium term so the candidate should have an entrepreneurial ambition to grow into this key role of the senior management team.If you’re a passionate engineer who is up for an exciting challenge and wants to make a positive impact in the world then get in touch! Experience working in energy, renewables and marine industries will be a distinct advantage.
- Role Responsibilities
- Leading Design & Optimisation.
- Producing detailed designs of turbines and deployment systems.
- Responding to technical queries for business development opportunities.
- Leading technical work with clients, suppliers, contractors and project partners.
- Developing and utilising test procedures including computer and scale modelling.
- Interpreting and analysing data and test results for further optimisation.
- Competitively sourcing and purchasing components, equipment and materials.
- Managing technology budgets and timelines and resource planning.
- Ensuring adherence to appropriate health and safety legislation/standards.
- Writing reports and assisting Sales & Marketing with technical content.
- Giving presentations in meetings with potential partners, clients and investors.
- Staying on top of technology trends and developments.
- Leading the expansion of the engineering team.
- Skills, Experience & Qualifications
This role requires a combination of both technical and management competencies:
- Qualified Naval Architect with Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Marine or Mechanical Engineering, Engineering Design or Civil or Structural Engineering).
- Masters in related field (listed above) desirable but not essential.
- Minimum of 5 years working in an engineering role.
- A knowledge of marine devices and a history of designing, engineering, fabricating, finishing and deploying devices in a marine environment.
- Experience working with steel fabrication contractors in the marine sector.
- Specific experience in design, hydrodynamics and/or aerodynamics desired.
- Experience in FEA (Finite Element Analysis), CFD modelling and 3D design.
- Creative, logical thinker who enjoys problem solving and innovative approaches.
- Demonstrated history of technology development and product optimisation.
- Industry knowledge and network in Marine design & manufacture desired.
- Understanding of Economies of Scale & Manufacturing and Supply Chain.
- Certification, Health & Safety and Industry Standards Compliance.
Management & Leadership
- Minimum of 3 years experience leading projects.
- Self-motivated with a track record of showing initiative.
- Excellent project management skills including contract and subcontract schedules.
- Exceptional team management skills and ability to delegate effectively.
- A strong speaker & presenter with excellent written communication & reporting skills.
- Entrepreneurial spirit, excited to work in a Start-Up type environment.
- Ability to work remotely and willing to travel.
- Working Environment
The successful candidate will be based in the GKinetic Energy Office in Newcastle West, Co. Limerick for the first 2-4 weeks. Following successful induction, it is expected to then move to a mix of remote working and coming into the office as needed. This can change depending on the requirements of the role. The Lead Engineer will be required to visit potential deployment sites and supply chain manufacturers in order to effectively develop and manage commercial projects so flexibility to travel is essential.
There will be ongoing, regular contact with GKinetic’s extensive network across industry and academia. Cross-team collaboration is a must, liaising among technical, logistics, materials, subcontract, safety, design, commercial and manufacturing teams.
- The Rewards
- Opportunity to develop and deploy unique, hydrokinetic solutions.
- Your work will make a positive impact in the fight against climate change.
- Unique opportunity to accelerate your career in an ambitious start-up environment.
- Attractive salary & expenses package (negotiable).
- Flexible remote working arrangements/ 30 days holidays.
- Options for shares/equity in the case of successful progression to CTO.
- Application Process
If you feel this could be the role for you, please send us an up to date, tailored CV along with a Cover Letter/Email that clearly explains your interest in the role, why you feel you could be a good fit and what you will bring to our dynamic team. Please highlight relevant experience and past projects if possible. Send your application, which will be handled in strict confidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Deadline for applications is 1pm Monday the 9th of November 2020.
Please confirm that you are currently eligible to work in Ireland. Applications by candidates who do not provide clear evidence that they are eligible to work in Ireland will not be processed.